Beekeeping is a fun hobby and can be turned into a thriving small business for those with little or no knowledge of bees. The startup costs are low and with Eco Bee Box™ equipment you can have a potential revenue stream that is local, sustainable and fun to do. The advantage to our hives is the small footprint and they can be kept in a remote place in your yard. Having a beehive is a great way to play a vital part in our natural ecosystems as they are responsible for the pollination of many fruit, nuts, vegetables and other species. They are available in standard medium or deep sized frames and can hold one or two frames. A simple fact... 100 crop species provide 90% of food worldwide and of those 71 species are pollinated by bees.
Beekeeping provides a sustainable source of income in areas where often few income opportunities exist. Not only are income opportunities generated for smallholder farmers, but also to young entrepreneurs, who are trained to run their outlets in remote locations. In essence, sustainable beekeeping enterprises can play an important role in achieving sustainable development as it offers opportunities and generates income at the bottom of the pyramid while contributing towards food security and towards the conservation of biodiversity.
Choosing the location for your hive is an important step. You can just pick a nice place in your unused yard or in your garden. Some people actually set up hives with a local garden or farmer. Once you have selected a site call us and we will set you up with the perfect equipment and gear. There are many good books out there about beekeeping. Honey is a food source for bees the excess honey is the stored honey and in anticipation of needing it or bad days. This excess honey can be collected for personal or for you to sale as profit.
There are two types of honey that for-profit beekeepers can sell; liquid honey and comb honey. The liquid form is extracted from the hive by utilizing a centrifuge with little physical effort. Selling pieces of the comb is the prefered profitable means of earning income from beekeeping. Many individuals prefer this kind of honey’s natural flavor in spite of its less convenient form.
Honey cones come in a variety of colors and flavors. The flavor of honey is significantly influenced by the nectar bees collect. Other factors such the varieties of floral and the general weather conditions.
If beekeepers are processing and packaging honey for profit, it is important to research, learn and follow all state and federal regulations associated with food. Beekeeping for profit is a business like any other and local governmental guidelines can vary so you will need to do your homework and ensure that you are meeting all of the appropriate general business and food specific laws and regulations.
Beekeeping is an activity that anyone can undertake as it requires minimal land. Men, women, elderly and youth can participate! There are many benefits to Bee Keeping here is a list of a few:
• Can watch a queen and larvae hatch
• Can be placed outside in shade during daytime nice weather, then brought indoors.
• It has relatively low technology requirements!
• Great way to show off your prized capped honeycomb
• It is a low investment with a quick return and minimal land requirements!
• Beekeeping basics are not to hard to master
• Great for classroom presentations, and farmers market displays
• Beekeeping provides employment and self-esteem.
• Honey is a valuable non-wood forest product thus contributing to the preservation of forests around the world!
• Honey is a commodity that can be traded locally without special consideration as to storage or loss!
• Honey is a high value product.
• Honey and its by-products have many healthy benefits.
• Most honeybee products can be consumed as food, dietary supplements or used as medicine.
• Bee products have a long shelf life and are a valuable food source